Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Evelyn's Birthday Cake

I took on a huge challenge. Evelyn has been asking for a Castle Birthday Cake for a few years now and I decided that I'd use a coupon I had for the wilton castle cake set and do my best to make up her castle cake.
I did my research and asked a lot of questions but it was about a week long process from start to finish.

I started by setting up the pieces and labeling them were I wanted them. I made fondant with a recipe I found online with marshmallows and powdered sugar, let it cool and harden in the fridge over night. The following night I shapped flowers and vines for the turretts. Fondant is like an editable play dough.I let the flowers and vines sit and harden more over night. The next day I added pedal dust to all the fondant so it would sparkle. I melted candy to attach the dowels to the turrets so they would stay upright on the cake. Made the "sprinkle" cake itself from a mix (wasn't going to do more work than necessary :) Once they cooled I made butter cream frosting and put the cakes together with a crumb coat. The cake was then put in the the refrigerator over night to solidify the crumb coat. The morning of the party I put on another coat of frosting, added vines, and put on all the turrets and extra flowers. Evelyn was very pleased. Within a few hours I was pulling it apart and slicing it up. So much build up.. but it was worth it to see Evelyn's happy pleased face. And it tasted good too!

3 comments:

Sherilyn said...

That is amazing. You are so talented. I can't believe that Evelyn is five. I remember the day you first brought her to church. Time sure does fly

Carolyn said...

That cake is fantastic! I am in awe.

Jaclyn said...

That cake is a piece of artwork. Well done. I may try to be adventurous and make something like that for the twins birthday in December. You're incredible.