Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Grandpa's Grape Juice

I grew up with homemade grape juice from Grandpa's (My Mother's Dad) little vineyard in Oregon. This year Grandpa Burt let us come and pick a BUNCH of Grapes. About 100lbs actually. He let us take home his steamer and gave me the recipe on how he's always done it.
Pictured in the collage are the grapes. There were green and purple!
There is no comparison from these Yummy homegrown organic gapes and the grocery store ones.
The kids helping us pick each individual grape off the vine.
The steamer draining the gorgeous juice into the jars.
I then added some fructose.
Put on the lids and steam canned the lids closed.
We made 48 quarts of concentrated Juice!
We gave some of the quarts away as Christmas gifts this year. Perfect!
I am so grateful to have learned this tradition to pass on to future generations. Grandpa has also taught me the art of whole wheat bread making, and the love of genealogy.
THANK YOU GRANDPA!

No comments: