Monday, January 4, 2010

The newest member of our family!

So Aaron and I had a deal before everything happened that if he got a job before the end of the year, I would get a puppy. (I helped him with the searching and applying process) I've been begging for a dog for a long while, and the circumstances just hadn't been right. Aaron landed a perfect job and started work on the 28th of December! So, I started up my research again to find just the right dog. I started looking at the humane society, wanting to adopt a puppy in need, but I couldn't find the right fit. I wanted a dog for a running partner, protector, and family friend to cuddle with that wasn't too big, but not too small.
I put an add on craigslist explaining our families needs, and I got an email from a breeder in Oregon city. She had pure breed Australian Blue/Red Heelers. I hadn't heard of the breed really before, and did some research after seeing the adorable puppy pictures she sent. I found out that the Heelers are cattle dogs that herd cows (and people at times). They are extremely loyal, intelligent and adorable. A perfect fit for our family, not to mention an extremely good deal (1/3 of the value, we paid very little.) The mother is blue (a grey/black that looks blue) and the father is a red (orangy blonde). So our dog is red and blue (patriotic right?) And since he's Australian, we decided on the name Quigly after the american cowboy in Australia, Love that movie. It fits our little puppy perfectly.

Quigly is so adorable with his toys. At nine weeks old, he can allready play fetch.
Egan and Quigly are allready close friends, (as long as Egan isn't teasing him.)
Quigly spends a good majority of his time on my lap. I love it!
You can see his adorable white tipped tale with a orange spot at the base. Check out the mix of Blue and red! Heelers don't have their full colors until they are almost full grown. When they are born, they are all white and develop their spots later, like dalmations.
sweet puppy.
There are two little boy heelers left in Oregon city. Give me a call and I'll hook ya up! =)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

So cute!! What an adorable puppy!! It makes me want one!

chrissy said...

I second Tiffany! Except for the wanting part. Sometimes I'm ready to give up the two I have! lol But I've never had a puppy. He's so cute!